Discover

Dog Cheats Death After Devouring A Bag Of Ecstasy Tablets Like Kibble

Dog Cheats Death After Devouring A Bag Of Ecstasy Tablets Like Kibble

Hopefully, Blue the Whippet and his dad will be able to chuckle about this one day, but there was nothing funny about the pup’s accidental poisoning when everything went downhill.

It began while the two were on their daily walk: Blue discovered an abandoned bag of heart-shaped ecstasy tablets and, being a normal, curious puppy, wasted no time diving into it headfirst.

Related: Every Question You Were Afraid to Ask About Dogs and Marijuana
Related

Every Question You Were Afraid to Ask About Dogs and Marijuana

Blue’s owner—unsure what they were—took the pills home to prevent anyone or anything from getting into them again, but the pup quickly developed distressing symptoms. In a matter of hours, he started foaming at the mouth, and was unable to remain steady on his feet.

Blue-the-whippet

Blue’s dad immediately took him to the People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals (PSDA), an organization dedicated to providing veterinary care for those in need, and he did so in the nick of time. The head nurse at the PSDA described to The Huffington Post just how horrifying the ordeal was:

[Blue had] collapsed and the toxins were causing organ failure. He was admitted and life-saving treatment was started straight away. He was put on an IV drip and received activated charcoal to absorb the toxins. Without the treatment, he would not have survived the night.

Blue’s story isn’t the only one in the news recently involving a dog getting into something he shouldn’t; Dwayne Johnson’s French Bulldog puppy ingested a mushroom in his backyard and sadly did not survive. It took just a few hours to destroy his system, and there was not much the vet, or Johnson, could do.

While most of us don’t have mass quantities of hallucinogenic drugs lying around, we probably have things like antifreeze, compost, and a variety of plants and fungi near our homes that may be seriously harmful.

blue dog

It took a miracle to get Blue through the night unscathed—and the drugs have since been properly disposed of by police—but it serves as a lesson for us all to be extremely cautious with our surroundings. Keep a close eye on your dog on walks, at the park, and especially in your own yard.

If your pup ingests something not intended for him, don’t waste any time getting him to the vet. You can also contact the ASPCA’s 24-hour poison control hotline at (888) 426-4435 for diagnostic and treatment assistance.

H/t The Huffington Post

Comments